Friday, April 6, 2007

If You Love My Bloody Valentine, Read This Book


I'm halfway into a book called, "Perfect from Now On: How Indie Rock Saved My Life," and it's amazing. Like someone shined a light on my musical journey through indie rock and wrote a book about it. The writer grew up in Grand Rapids, Michigan (about an hour from where I spent my formative years) and, as a kid, listened to bands like Duran Duran, Journey and Sammy Hagar-era Van Halen. Then one day a cooler friend of his played U2's "War," and his life changed forever. The book is a virtual Who's Who of every single fantastic band you ever loved... The Smiths, Joy Division, The Pixies, Dinosaur, jr., The Stone Roses, etc... The writing is funny, poignant and sometimes makes you cringe because that person dancing in front of the mirror to "Everybody Wang Chung tonight," was YOU. The best bits about this book, though, are the copious footnotes and the appendix at the back which has tons of lists that are guaranteed to cause mayhem among indie-rock circles. Read it. You'll love it. Trust me.

1 comment:

brian said...

Since it takes me 3-4 months to read one book, I have to choose carefully. Is this as good as 'The Secret'??